One of my clients is in the process of migrating to Windows 8.1 with Office 365.
To deploy Office 365, it was decided to use the ‘Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run” tool (See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219422.aspx) for more information.
Once packaged as an app-v package, we started to see some very strange behavior. When first logging on to 365 through Word, the end user was informed that:
a) They were entitled to Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (Screenshot 1)
b) The product was not installed! (Screenshot 2)
What we discovered
Both I and a colleague packaged this product with different results. I have summarized it in this table:
|OS||Architecture||Size of O365ProPlusRetail_en-us-x86.appv|
|Windows 7||32-bit||894,010 KB|
|Windows 8||64-bit||943,701 KB|
As you can see, the size difference is rather large considering that the download source is identical.
It turns out that if Office 365 is ‘packaged’ on a 32-bit Windows OS machine, the package does not function correctly on Windows 8 64-bit. I haven’t tested if the reverse is true yet.
The moral of the story is that you must run the “setup.exe / packager” on the correct architecture for target operating system.