My script here has been made redundant by a new export feature in Lenovo’s Update Retriever!
The update allows you to export and extract the downloaded driver packages to a specified directory. My initial tests are very positive.
You can download the file from this link.
Thanks to Robert Kirk for the heads up.
This error message only seems to occur when the 64-bit version of the WAIK is installed off read-only media (such as an ISO image).
It appears that this is caused by an entry in the Media table of the wAIKAMD64.msi file. The MSI is looking for a embedded cab file that is actually external.
There are three ways to ‘fix this’;
- Copy the source onto a writable hard disk and then run the MSI.
- Make sure that your CD ISO image is called ‘KB3AIK_EN’. This is the volume name the MSI is looking for.
- Create an MST file that alters the ‘Media’ table. Change the line for the ‘WinPE.Cab’ cabinet so that the ‘VolumeLabel’ field is set to “DEFAULT” instead of “KB3AIK_EN”. This is my preferred option.
Hope this helps.
A big thanks to the support guys at Microsoft for resolving this one!
Windows 7 clients with folder redirection enabled via Group Policy to a remote file and print server. Offline folders have been enabled.
A common file share has been employed to form the base of the user folder structure. The share NTFS permissions are set to disallow end users to browse the other end user folders.
A provisioning script was written that does the following;
- Create the folder structure for the end user.
- Set the end user as the owner of each folder.
- Set permissions to the folder structure so that only the end user and the helpdesk has access to the folder structure.
When attempting to install KMS onto a Windows 2003 SP2 x86 server, I received a ‘Setup Error’ when running the command line ‘KMSW2K3.exe /l:c:\kmsinst.log’.
The installation then failed and rolled back without any further explanation.
Even the log file failed to shed any real light on the problem.
Turns out that I had to re-register my WMI components!
The following commands came from this link.
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i
for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer
Obscure, but may hopefully help someone!
The current manual process for obtaining all drivers for a model of Lenovo laptop is;
- Browse the Lenovo website
- Download each individual driver
- Extract the driver
- Import it into SCCM.
This error came up when I attempted to boot a PC with a Windows PE boot disk I created using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 Update 1 (MDT).
When the lite touch script attempted to run, it bombed out with the following message;
Title: ” Media not found ”
Message: “Please insert the CD, DVD or USB to complete the deployment process.”.
Turns out that this is because a MININT directory still exists on the hard drive of the target PC.
By simply reformatting the drive from the Administrator prompt using ‘format c: /fs:ntfs /q’ and then rebooting back into Windows PE again, the problem was resolved.
I presume that this will apply to MDT 2010 as well.
As per usual, make sure that you back everything up before making changes to your system. I am not responsible for your stuff ups!
I was attempting to deploy an image created with MDT 2008 (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) to a VMWare virtual machine. After PXE booting my WIM image, Windows PE did not have a network card present that could talk to the deployment server (It worked first time using Citrix XenServer!)
Here is my test environment;
I have created two virtual machines on a test VMWare ESXi box.
VM One has Windows 2003, MDT 2008 and Windows Deployment Services.
VM Two is the VM I am attempting to build via MDT installed on VM one.
After mucking around with injecting the vmware drivers, changing the network card type and recreating WIM’s ad infinitum, I found out the the VMX file for the test VM was missing a couple of essential entries.
Adding the following lines worked for me;
ethernet0.startConnected = “true”
ethernet0.virtualDev = “e1000”
ethernet0.addressType = “generated”
I made the changes, uploaded them using the data store browser, started the VM, and voila!